qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Compiling a kernel for arm and boot from it

From: Gilles Doffe
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Compiling a kernel for arm and boot from it
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 09:08:13 +0000 (GMT)

Hello,

I actually work on internal learning on how to keep a toolchain and a kernel for arm AT91RM9200 to the lastest possible version available. The goal is to use this kernel in a qemu environment.

Then I asked to my friend Google and I have found a lot of things, but too much things...^^
I really start to get completly lost.
So I'll try to explain you what I did in the following lines and if you please could tell me what I did wrong :

First the toolchain :
binutils-2..18.50
newlib-1.16.0
gcc-4.3.0
I compiled successfully that toolchain but I have questions : I understand (I think) what is EABI but I cannot see where it takes place in my toolchain. Is there an option to set, is it support automatically, is it really necessary ? Does it have a link with ELF binary formats ?

Now the kernel :
kernel 2.6.24 from kernel.org
I just set "ARM=arm" and "CROSS_COMPILE=arm-elf-" and I launched the build process this way :
$ make integrator_defconfig
$ make

No problems during the kernel build, I then recover the zImage to launch my qemu with :
$ qemu-system-arm -kernel zImage
And then the qemu screen remains definitely black... I don't understand at all why. Could someone help me please ?

More precisions :
I tried to use the kernel from the official arm-test suite. It worked fine. So I don't think it is a bug from qemu. But I cannot retrieve the /proc/config.gz from the arm-test kernel because I issued problems to make my virtual network works between my host and the qemu.
I am under Fedora 8
$ qemu --help | grep version
QEMU PC emulator version 0.9.0, Copyright (c) 2003-2007 Fabrice Bellard

Thanks a lot in advance,
Gilles

Envoyé avec Yahoo! Mail.
Une boite mail plus intelligente.