qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Keyboard contents in QEMU log

From: Justin King
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Keyboard contents in QEMU log
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 19:11:05 -0500

I am a CS graduate student at the University of Illinois working on a research project using QEMU. I am effectively looking to use QEMU as a keylogger, that is, I would like to type keystrokes into a QEMU VM, and have the keys recorded and output in some sort of log.

I have been playing with the log functionality of QEMU, but have been unable to reconstruct a sequence of keyboard events. The abbreviated version of what I need to happen is as follows:

1. User hits key
2. Keystroke handled by code in hw/pckbd.c
3. Keystroke (theoretically) causes a "hardware" interrupt (do_interrupt() called by cpu-exec.c), interrupt recorded in log.
4. Log analysis tool (written by myself) can extract keystroke.

I am running QEMU 0.9.1 on a Kubuntu 7.04 desktop host. The VM has an installation of Ubuntu server 7.10, and it seems to run perfectly.

Does the logging functionality of QEMU record keystrokes? If so, where should I be looking in the logs to find this information?

Thank you,

Justin King

Graduate Research Assistant