qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] OpenGL in qemu

From: Nik
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] OpenGL in qemu
Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 12:26:00 +1000

Gervase wrote:
>/ Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 11:07:36 +1000/
>/ From: Nik <address@hidden>/
>/ Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] OpenGL in qemu/

Fabrice made the following suggestion, which I am only just(!) beginning
to understand:

<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2006-11/msg00149.html>

Essentially, I think he would like to see something like the following:

(Guest driver) -> (pseudo PCI adapter emulated by QEMU)-> (Host gfx lib)

This would allow any host to benefit without having to write host
specific code to handle this.  I think that was the point Fabrice was
making.
I had already seen references to this post, and had some questions on that as well.
Your diagram makes the structure clearer, thank you.

Although I suspect that the diagram is actually mroe like the following:

(Guest driver) -> (opengl library) -> (pseudo PCI adaptor) -> (Host opengl lib)

In this arrangement, the job of the (pseudo PCI adaptor) is to pass through the opengl calls and results as quickly and efficiently as possible, with the possibility of managing some of the memory structures (such as opengl contexts).

So the questions I would like to ask of Fabrice is:
Q1: Would it be preferable to modify the existing Bochs VGA adaptor, or would it be better to write a new pci device using the Bochs VGA driver as a basis?

Q2: Would there be any benefit in giving the (pseudo PCI adaptor) a Gallium interface? Either as well as, or instead of, the proposed DMA interface?

Cheers!
Nik