qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Patch] [kinda-resend] persistent real-time-clock

From: Laurent Vivier
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Patch] [kinda-resend] persistent real-time-clock
Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 10:53:43 +0200

Le mardi 06 mai 2008 à 10:26 +0200, Tristan Gingold a écrit :
> > It's a bios parameter (just like default boot device).  It makes
> > sense to allow the bios to let the user customize bios parameters
> > and have that be saved.
> >
> > CMOS is non-volatile in real life so making it non-volatile in QEMU
> > seems like the obvious thing to do.
>
> I fully agree.  Platforms have many non-volatile storage (CMOS,
> ethernet eeproms, flashes...).  It would
> be nice if qemu were able to making them non-volatile.
>
> I'd plan to work on this, although not soon.

Hervé Poussineau had already done this kind of work for DS1225Y chip.

The content of the NVRAM is saved into the file "nvram".

I think we should have a more generic way to manage this.
I mean:
- a parameter to specify the file
- a default filename per machine (something like "~/.qemu/pc.cmos",
"~/.qemu/sun4m.nvram" or "~/.qemu/ppc_oldworld.nvram")

(and if we create a "~/.qemu" directory, perhaps we could store some
default configurations ... :-P )

There is also the -prom-env parameter to specify a value of the nvram
(for sparc only, but could be generic).

Laurent
--
- Alan Kay