qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU refusing to die on FreeBSD host

From: Jake Myers
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU refusing to die on FreeBSD host
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 23:22:52 -0400

Juergen Lock wrote:
On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 09:14:20PM +0200, Juergen Lock wrote:
In article <address@hidden> you write:
Juergen Lock wrote:
On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 12:55:39AM -0400, Jake Myers wrote:
Hello,

On FreeBSD 7-STABLE, qemu refuses to exit even after the window is closed. It is stuck so badly that even kill -9 fails to stop it. I looked in top to see what it was doing that would cause it to lock so badly:

PID USERNAME    THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU COMMAND
34859 root          1  -8   20   433M   416M devdrn   9:49  0.00% qemu

I believe the problem is that qemu for some reason refuses to stop trying to use the kqemu device.

I am running the latest qemu (0.9.1). I can provide a backtrace on request (I'm really busy right now with other things, so I didn't have time to attach one).
Yeah this looks like its the same FreeBSD 7.x/SMP issue that I already
got reports of (refcount problem, similar to what has already been fixed
once, only this time it seems to be a race...)

 If it is, you should be able to work around it by using an uniprocessor
host kernel until a fix is known.

 Sorry...
        Juergen

I disabled SMP in my kernel, rebuilt the kqemu module, and tried to run it again. The same issue occurs.
Hmm okay, then its not an SMP issue, thanks for the information!
[...]

OK, I just committed a fix, please try updating your kqemu port and
tell me if it works for you then.

 Thanx,
        Juergen

Sorry for my very belated paste, I was away on vacation. It all works flawlessly now, thank you very much :-).

Regards
Jacob Myers