qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: KQEMU code organization

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: KQEMU code organization
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 12:48:06 -0500

Jan Kiszka wrote:
Anthony Liguori wrote:

It wouldn't be too bad if you focused on kqemu-user and limited yourself
to UP guests.  The first step would be getting the existing KVM support
code to function with TCG.  For instance, use TCG to run 16-bit code,
and then KVM to run 32/64-bit code.  Once that was all worked out, the
rest would be pretty straight-forward porting and code cleanup.

I guess you mean real-mode code with 16-bit here. /me always wondered
why it takes an in-kernel code interpreter for kvm to achieve this - at
least as long as it runs via qemu.

We don't use an in-kernel interpreter, we use vm86 mode for 16-bit code. There is an in-kernel interpreter (x86_emulate) but that is used mostly for handling shadow page table faults.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Jan