qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] An organizational suggestion

From: Balazs Attila-Mihaly \(Cd-MaN\)
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] An organizational suggestion
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 08:36:37 -0700 (PDT)

> I'd just like to point out that committing patches is easy. The hard (and
> time
> consuming) bit is identifying, rejecting, fixing and/or making constructive
> comments on all the bogus patches. The are lots of patches that fall into
> this latter category, e.g. patches that have clearly only ever been tested on
> x86 targets.

I agree 100%. However I would like to point out that not all people have (easy)
access to other architectures. This could be resolved partially by an automated
testing framework (as I mentioned earlier) and/or (preferably and) by a central
repository of "do's" and "dont's" (on a wiki for example :-). I want to be very
clear: my (and hopefully everybodys) intention with this discussion is to find
an acceptable solution, not to play politics or something like that. I'm very
grateful to all of the developers, because without them, we wouldn't be here.
But it is always good (in my opinion at least) to aim high.

To make the discussion more focused, I propose that we come up with a list of
yes/no questions and committers (especially Fabrice) express their opinion and
we'll see what solutions are acceptable. What I've seen so far:

- Should patches be tracked (via an issue tracker, wiki or some other solution)?
- Should there exists a document describing "do's" and "dont's" for Qemu source
code?
- Would an automated testing framework be useful?

Please list your own questions (yes/no to keep it simple) and after we have a
somewhat comprehensive list, we can ask the committers to respond to them to
see which is a workable alternative...

Best regards.

Sent from Yahoo! Mail.