qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Suggestion for testing framework

From: Edgar E. Iglesias
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Suggestion for testing framework
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 11:44:17 +0200

On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 08:41:58AM +0200, Laurent Desnogues wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 12:35 AM, Thiemo Seufer <address@hidden> wrote:
> > OTOH, something like the CRIS testsuite (which was ported from GNU sim)
> > for other target architectures could be very useful.
>
> That would certainly be something very valuable but it would
> need a tremendous amount of work and would have to be
> done by a different person than the original coder (or else
> you could not catch misunderstandings of the instruction
> descriptions for instance).

It's good if someone else writes the tests but I don't feel it's that critical
for qemu. The tests certainly dont _have_ to be written by others to have great
value. I agree that it might require a bit of work but luckily it can be done
incrementally.

An annoying thing with the CRIS testsuite (the way it runs now) is that it
requires the CRIS compiler to build the test-cases before they can run. It
would be nice to have a check-notools rule (or similar) that would download a
pre-compiled testsuite so anyone could run it. I don't think we can expect
developers to have toolchains for all the supported targets and to keep them
all up to date as new testcases are added which may require modern tool
versions.

Best regards
--
Edgar E. Iglesias