qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Disabling outgoing connectiong from within guest

From: Ben Taylor
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Disabling outgoing connectiong from within guest
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 09:23:10 -0400

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 9:13 AM, Paul Brook <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Friday 20 June 2008, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
>> Hi,

>> > Your host OS firewall/packet filter should already be able to do this.
>> > IMHO there's little or no point reimplementing this functionality in
>> > qemu.
>>
>> Except that Lukasz wrote about users in the sandboxed environment, not all
>> users of the _host_ machine.
>
> Right. That's why you want to do the firewalling/sandboxing on the host. If
> you don't trust your host OS you're already screwed.

So in this situation, you're going to have a filter on the tap
device, that does something like:

allow incoming to port 22 (he did say ssh)

assuming guest is DHCP'd
allow incoming to port 68 (DHCP)
allow outgoing to port 68 (DHCP)

maybe allow dns so
allow incoming to port 53 (DNS) from dns server
allow outgoing to port 53 (DNS) to dns server

deny everything else incoming or outgoing