qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: [Bochs-developers] BIOS, ACPI, CMOS and Windows EvenID:

From: Sebastian Herbszt
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: [Bochs-developers] BIOS, ACPI, CMOS and Windows EvenID: 4
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 00:47:44 +0200

Gleb Natapov wrote:
The Microsoft document suggests to copy the CMOS data to somewhere in memory
and access it there. I guess rombios space from 0xe000 to 0xffff could be a good
candidate.
No need to copy the whole CMOS. Copying only memory size should be
enough. Also putting it somewhere in first 4K should be better. You
can't write into 0xe000-0xffff unless chipset shadows it in a memory.

bios_shadow_init() from rombios32.c does already support this for the 440fx.

The 440fx specs says "The top of memory is determined by the value written into
DRB7."
We might get the proper value from there. But it also says "Note that the PMC
supports
a maximum of 1 Gbytes of DRAM."

Yeah, I saw that my real HW takes top of the memory somewhere from the
chipset and looked in 440fx specs if it has this info, but it turned
out that we abuse 440fx and sometimes use much more memory that it
supports. We can re-use DRB registers for our needs and store memory
size there on POST (we can store 8 bytes there, so it should be enough)
and read them from AML. Are all users of bochs BIOS uses the same
chipset?

I think bochs, qemu, xen and virtual box emulate the 440fx.

- Sebastian