qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [5076] VNC: Support for ExtendedKeyEvent client message

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [5076] VNC: Support for ExtendedKeyEvent client message
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 16:47:11 -0500

Christian Brunschen wrote:

I doubt you'll see a benefit from this. PNG compression is paletted and compressed (just like GIF).

PNG does more than that. PNG supports full colour (up to 16 bits per colour component) including a full alpha channel, and has various filters that are applied to the image data to improve compression. Not to mention PNG is much more than GIF.

Tight also has various filters to improve the compression. The VNC protocol won't support 16-bit color components or an alpha channel so this isn't an advantage.

As an aside - is the Tight protocol documented somewhere? In actual documentation rather than source code, I mean?

Just the source code. Although there's a big comment block that describes it as well as the rest of the VNC protocol docs do.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori