qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] LSI53C895A, IDE HDD detection under SCO OpenServer 5.0.

From: Craig Ringer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] LSI53C895A, IDE HDD detection under SCO OpenServer 5.0.5
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 18:26:39 +0900

Justin Chevrier wrote:

> My md5sums match yours.
>
> I used your exact command line and btld options (28 and 2) and it still
> worked on my end. At this point all I can think of is modifications done by
> Ubuntu, or it being qemu 0.9.10. It sounds like you're going to try again
> with a copy of HEAD anyway, hopefully it will work there!

It works with HEAD. Ubuntu don't seem to have patched anything in the
LSI SCSI driver, so either it's an effect from elsewhere or (more
likely) a fix in HEAD.

I don't see anything in the Ubuntu patches that looks like a likely
candidate. The only significant change in the lsi driver between 0.9.1
and HEAD doesn't appear to be the cause, either, so it's presumably a
fix somewhere else between 0.9.1 and HEAD. I'm not enthusiastic enough
to go digging, since it works.

CD boot and installation fails after prompting for the CD-ROM ATA bus
location. The first time I tested, oddly, it got a lot further - I was
able to enter license codes, complete package selection and begin the
installation proper before it failed. The error (from SCO's kernel) is:

PANIC: svirtophys - page not present

Some documentation I was able to turn up on this (for OpenServer 6 not
OpenServer 5.05, but it should still be informative):

http://osr600doc.sco.com/man/html.D3oddi/phystokv.D3oddi.html

says:

If kvtophys( ) is given a virtual address that does not map to a
physical address, the kernel panics with the following message:

   svirtophys - Page not present

Booting with mem=1m-5m,128m-256m (hit upon after trying a few different
values to play with the memory regions) seems to work around it.
OpenServer isn't very good at reading the BIOS's memory mappings, and I
wouldn't be too surprised if it was trying to access memory that wasn't
mapped. mem=1m-10m,32m-128m also works, but mem=1m-15m,16m-64m doesn't.
I'll dig a bit more later, but have continued testing to try to get a
successful install.

Just before package selection, qemu prints some warning messages:

lsi_scsi: error: Unimplemented message 0x0c

but proceeds.

The installer then formats the disk. It didn't manage that before, it
crashed after displaying the formatting progress bar but before doing
any significant disk I/O.

The next issue I run into is after the root file system is formatted.
SCO doesn't seem to be able to read the floppy drive when running the
real SCO kernel; it fails to access it as /dev/fd0 (which it is) or as
/dev/fd1 . This would also explain why I can't do a floppy installation.
I haven't investigated yet, as I can skip BTLD installation, it just
means I need to link the BTLD image into the kernel at boot time to init
the machine.

If you skip copying the BTLD image to the root file system installation
continues. However, it crashes at a variable point thereafter with
errors suggesting that the newly created root file system must be
corrupt. Another SCSI issue, presumably - hooray!

*tears at hair*

At least the errors about "lsi_scsi: error: Unimplemented message 0x0c"
might provide a hint. I'll have a look, but thought I should let you
know about the possibility of getting installation to proceed further by
setting a memory mapping manually.

--
Craig Ringer