qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] atapi on ppc issue (was Re: qemu-system-ppc broken ?)

From: François Revol
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] atapi on ppc issue (was Re: qemu-system-ppc broken ?)
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 21:27:32 +0100 CET

> > The attached patch makes OpenHackware happy again.
> > At least qemu-system-ppc can now start debian iso, and mine as well
> [...]
> > OpenHackware should be fixed instead, but it seems the binary in
> > svn
> > has been updated after the last sources I found
> [...]
> > Seems the last update was already about ATAPI...
> > Anyone has the latest source used ?
> > I could at least fix it to check for bits on errors...
>
> Rene Rebe recently posted some diff against qemu's OHW diff, but it
> appeared to be whitespace-damaged.

Ohhh, I didn't even notice ohw.diff in pc-bios/ despite looking for
one!
I'll try to dig that one on gmane.org.

I just hope it's easier to build than OpenBIOS...

> > Of course it'd be much better to switch to a real OF instead...
> > but I don't have the time for that, couldn't find usable OpenBIOS
> > images,
>
> I once tried to get OpenBIOS working but failed, Laurent appeared to
> get some further - any update on that?

I tried building it for PPC yesterday, but I only had an powerpc-apple-
haiku- gcc around, and it didn't like it... Even after pointing it to
find our stdint.h and endian.h (WTF does it need OS headers to build a
BIOS ???).
It seems to be doing nasty things with m4 macros on C headers, really
ugly.

> > and it see[m]s CoreBoot v2 and v3 don't support ppc yet.
>
> I believe CoreBoot is unrelated to ppc, it replaces the x86 BIOS. It
> does allow to use OpenBIOS (Open Firmware) as payload but not the
> other direction - Blue Swirl used some assembler wizardry to
> bootstrap
> the sparc OpenBIOS.

CoreBoot actually supports more arch than just x86:
http://www.coreboot.org/Supported_Chipsets_and_Devices

But only v1 seemed to have ppc support.

François.