qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 1/2] pci-dma-api-v1

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 1/2] pci-dma-api-v1
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 21:48:22 +0200

Blue Swirl wrote:
The previous similar attempt by Anthony for generic DMA using vectored
IO was abandoned because the malloc/free overhead was more than the
performance gain. Have you made any performance measurements? How does
this version compare to the previous ones?

The pointers you gave don't blame malloc/free, instead the lack of aio readv/writev.

Since Andrea's patches contain emulation for aio readv/writev, the performance degradation will not occur (though we will not see the benefit either).

I doubt you can get measure malloc overhead with anything less a thousand disks (even there, other overheads are likely to drown that malloc).

signature is too narrow to contain.