qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Modular qemu?

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Modular qemu?
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 08:32:45 -0600

Joop Boonen wrote:
Hello All,

I'm wondering if a modular qemu would be an option (loadable modules)?
Currently a lot different patched versions of qemu are around.
qemu as provided from the qemu project
qemu for openmoko wiki.openmoko.org
qemu for coreboot.org
and probably others.

If it would be possible t load modules like the (linux)kernel it would be
possible to use one qemu version for all the projects.
I don't know if this is possible?

This has been discussed before and I believe the overall consensus was that plugins are not desirable.

With respect to the various forks of QEMU, I believe the real problem is that historically, people have had a tough time getting changes into QEMU. This is not just a matter of getting patches accepted, but also getting the appropriate guidance about how to refactor things to take into account all of the various architecture combinations that QEMU supports and some of the longer term efforts.

I hope this situation is improving. If people have feedback in how things could be improved, I think everyone is eager to here it. Plugins are not the solution though.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Regards,

Joop.