qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Merging improvements from VirtualBox OSE into qemu?

From: Jamie Lokier
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Merging improvements from VirtualBox OSE into qemu?
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 23:18:49 +0000

Paul Brook wrote:
> Any hardware that supports KVM is already 64-bit, and you're almost
> entirely targetting obsolete hardware.

32-bit hardware is still in use.  My laptop is just over 2 years old,
and there were *no* 64-bit Intel laptop CPUs available when I bought
it (or I would have bought one).

I use 32-bit KVM very often on my laptop, for OS compatibility
testing, Windows development, BSD development, old Linux development
and binary software packaging.

(I also use QEMU, with and without KQEMU, to run older guest OSes that
KVM does not work for.)

To say 32-bit KVM-capable hardware is obsolete implies all _relevant_
laptop users buy new ones every less than 2 years, which sounds
ridiculous to me.

-- Jamie