qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: gdbstub: packet reply is too long

From: Daniel Jacobowitz
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: gdbstub: packet reply is too long
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 18:30:12 -0500

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 12:44:04AM +0100, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> And that means setting current_gdbarch while keeping target_gdbarch -
> that's where reality (existing gdb code) bites us. Again, I'm not
> arguing against fixing this, I'm arguing in keeping qemu's workaround
> until this is done. I will look into the gdb part, but one after the other.

No, it does not mean setting current_gdbarch different from
target_gdbarch.  With the current gdbarch set to a 64-bit one that
accurately describes the target, GDB should be able to debug code
running in 32-bit mode.  If it can't, there are simply bugs in GDB to
fix.

If you'd like to reach some solution to this problem, which I've seen
come up on the QEMU list a half-dozen times now, please describe how
you're using GDB on the address@hidden mailing list and let's see
if we can't fix the GDB bugs.  I'm pretty sure that any solution is
going to involve always transferring the x86-64 register set, though.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery