qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] simulating a chroot-like interface with qemu

From: Liraz Siri
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] simulating a chroot-like interface with qemu
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 17:17:01 +0200

Avi Kivity wrote:
> All of these (and many more) will be fixed by the namespace work that's
> being merged into Linux bit by bit.

Good point. I read up a bit on the progress the lxc folks have done
since I last checked and it looks like functionality similar to what I
am looking for has already been merged into the mainline kernel. The
userspace tools are also coming along nicely.

Making a super chroot like userspace tool would be much easier with lxc
primitives.

> You could easily use nfsroot in the guest together with -kernel and
> -initrd to load a guest without a block device.  With -append and
> 'init=' you can have the guest start any script you like.

Yep, the basics are there. You just have to tie it all together to make
it appear to work transparently. It seems much easier to do this with
the lxc primitives, but doing this with qemu still has some benefits
(e.g., super chroot into another emulated architecture).

Cheers,
Liraz