qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Extremely slow graphic updates

From: Jamie Lokier
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Extremely slow graphic updates
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 20:12:39 +0000

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 07:46:55PM +0000, Jamie Lokier wrote:
> > You can switch Vinagre between full-keyboard mode and the mode where
> > it intercepts keys like control-W.  In the former mode, you can even
> > send Control-Alt-Del from the keyboard.  I agree it's annoying, but
> > much less so when you know how to do this (unfortunately the different
> > states aren't made obvious, and I don't remember how to switch them
> > right now).
> >
> > Since I learned this, Vinagre got a lot nicer and I use VNC for all my
> > QEMU and KVM sessions now.  I got annoyed with SDL for other reasons,
> > and being able to detach from a running VM is quite nice.
>
> Seems vinagre is control-alt as it's grab/release keys, which of course
> qemu does as well, so no wonder it's being hit and miss on working or
> not.
>
> Any way to change the qemu keystrokes?

I don't think QEMU uses control-alt at all in VNC mode, does it?
I've never noticed it.
But I've always used a unix socket or stdin for the monitor; maybe
that makes a difference.

> Or I just have to find a better vnc client.

I used good old vncviewer for a while, until I found vncviewer can't
do full-screen on one monitor of a dual monitor setup.  Vinagre does
that quite nicely.  When I found out how to grab the keyboard properly
in Vinagre I found it pretty good for QEMU.  Being able to switch
between tabs to multiple VMs, and the bookmarks when you've got a few
VMs on the go, are quite nice too.

Some colleages used a Windows VNC client to a VM I'd set up, and that
just broke with QEMU.  (I don't remember which client.)  It displayed
the wrong colours, so there's still something amiss somewhere.

-- Jamie