qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [6391] Fix nographic mode and VNC

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [6391] Fix nographic mode and VNC
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 15:33:03 -0600

Blue Swirl wrote:
On 1/21/09, Samuel Thibault <address@hidden> wrote:
Blue Swirl, le Wed 21 Jan 2009 22:16:15 +0200, a écrit :

On 1/21/09, Samuel Thibault <address@hidden> wrote:
 > > Blue Swirl, le Wed 21 Jan 2009 19:28:14 +0000, a écrit :
 > >
 > > > +static void nographic_update(void *opaque)
 > >  > +{
 > >  > +    uint64_t interval = GUI_REFRESH_INTERVAL;
 > >  > +
 > >  > +    qemu_mod_timer(nographic_timer, interval +
qemu_get_clock(rt_clock));
 > >  > +}
 > >

 > > Maybe less often than 33 times per second?  SDL uses 2 times per second
 > >  when the window is minimized.
 >
 > I just tried: it's not enough, the serial console is unusably slow.

Mmm, I haven't followed everything so I probably misunderstand, but I
 guess you are talking about a serial console on stdio, shouldn't we
 already be monitoring the stdin fd to break the cpu emulation loop?

Some other way, like SIGIO or IO worker thread, may work too. It may
also be a big change.

The solution is an IO thread. I've been working on this on and off for KVM and now I think I see how to do it for TCG.

With an IO thread, select() could run while TCG ran and when select() returned, it would signal to TCG as if a signal handler was invoked.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori