qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Cutting a new QEMU release

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Cutting a new QEMU release
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 01:31:21 +0100

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 10:35 PM, Laurent Desnogues <address@hidden> wrote:

For instance someone (Andzrej?) mentionned  ARM in system mode is half
slower than it was before TCG.  Also the ARM target needs some fixing.

I have integrated the TCG ARM backend in the Android emulator, and my measurements
show an improvement in performance, when running various Android performance tests,
between x1.10 and x1.90 compared to the old dyngen based translator. To be honest,
the improvements are not consistent, there are a few rare tests
that run at x0.89, but they're not critical to me).

Note that the TCG binary is compiled with GCC 4.2, while the old one was built with
GCC 3.3 (fo rthe usual ugly dyngen reasons).

This is only when comparing the same ARMv5 binaries, but it sounds good enough for me.

An official release would be very welcomed at this point. The amount of changes since
the last one has been dramatic. Morever, this will allow everyone to reset the clock on
their forks and more easily share patches with upstream.

Just my 2 cents

Perhaps doing at least one release candidate to get feedback (and focus on
fixing reported bugs) would be appropriate.

Cheers,

Laurent