qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Cutting a new QEMU release

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Cutting a new QEMU release
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 17:51:16 +0000

On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 05:36:22PM +0000, Paul Brook wrote:
> > given the sheer amount of CPU sililcon without VT/SVM it looks to be worth
> > keeping [kqemu] working. Maybe just to pull it into the Qemu SVN?
>
> I'd rather not.  What you[1] really need to do is get it merged into upstream
> linux kernels.  There have been several threads about this previously, the
> short version is that it probably involves rewriting to use the kvm API.
> You'll find that many developers (including myself) have extremely low
> tolerance for out of tree kernel modules[2].

More fundamentally, whether in or out of tree, someone needs to step
forward & commit to being an active long term maintainer for the code.
Having it in QEMU SVN without someone maintaining it won't help the
current situation, and nor will dumping it upstream without someone
maintaining it.

Regards,
Daniel