qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch 2/2] qemu: PCI device, disk and host network hot

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch 2/2] qemu: PCI device, disk and host network hot-add / hot-remove
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 12:32:29 +0000

> Then info pci shows this:
>
>   ...snip...
>   Bus  0, device   3, function 0:
>     Ethernet controller: PCI device 10ec:8029
>       IRQ 11.
>       BAR0: I/O at 0xc100 [0xc1ff].

Sounds like the real problem is that info pci and info net don't contain
enough information.

> Yes, if the device already had a unqiue identifier, it some ways it
> would be easier to just be able todo  'nic_del 01:02:03:04:05:02'
> Or for a SCSI disk 'drive_del bus=scsi,index=3'. QEMU ought to have
> enough info internally to be able to map this to the PCI address it
> needs to remove.

It may be reasonably to assume a 1:1 mapping between network interfaces and
devices (for current devices at least). However the same is not true for
disks. Adding/removing host adapters, and adding/removing disks should be
separate operaions. The same strategy could also be used for network devices
(you create a PCI NIC, then you connect that NIC to a vlan). We're probably
going to want this separation anyway for machine config files.

Paul