qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Machine description as data

From: Ian Jackson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Machine description as data
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 16:31:34 +0000

Markus Armbruster writes ("[Qemu-devel] [RFC] Machine description as data"):
> [stuff]

Yes, this is a good approach.  I have one question though:

>    Define an internal machine configuration data structure.  Needs to be
>    sufficiently generic to be able to support even oddball machine
>    types.  Make it a decorated tree, i.e. a tree of named nodes with
>    named properties.

Many real systems are not strictly tree-structured, because there are
hardware devices which connect via several different paths.  For
example, much hardware supported by OpenWRT comes with a built-in
bridge chip connected internally to a hidden ethernet card; a tape
library would have one interface for the robot and a bunch of SCSI
tapereaders; etc.

When an emulation of such a device starts up, it will want to bind to
several parents.  How will you represent this ?

Ian.