qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] 64 bit device I/O

From: Robert Reif
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] 64 bit device I/O
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 18:46:25 -0500

Blue Swirl wrote:
Would it be better to use a structure with four elements with correct
types (including uint8/16_t)  instead of the cast? This could also be
limited to only cpu_register_io_memory64.

This is what I would prefer and is what the first version of this patch
that I submitted a year ago did:   http://landley.net/qemu/2008-01-01.html

The problem is that every hardware driver would need to be changed and
some of them would need to be changed drastically because they use the
same functions for all three data sizes.  No one seemed interested in this
approach so I abandoned it.

This approach while uglier requires no changes to the hardware drivers
unless they need 64 bit support so I hoped it would be better received.