qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Machine description as data prototype, take 4

From: Markus Armbruster
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Machine description as data prototype, take 4
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 13:13:13 +0100

Blue Swirl <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2/23/09, Markus Armbruster <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Fourth iteration of the prototype.  I'm not asking to consider a merge
>>  at this time.
>
>>  +static dt_prop_spec dt_cpus_props[] = {
>>  +    DT_PROP_SPEC_INIT("model", dt_device_cpus, model, string),
>>  +    DT_PROP_SPEC_INIT("num", dt_device_cpus, num, int),
>>  +};
>
> Please use "const".

Done.

>>  +static void dt_memrng_rom(dt_device_memrng *rng,
>>  +                          target_phys_addr_t phys_addr, ram_addr_t maxsz,
>>  +                          const char *dir, const char *image, int top)
>>  +{
>>  +    char buf[1024];
>>  +    int size;
>>  +
>>  +    snprintf(buf, sizeof(buf), "%s/%s", dir, image);
>>  +    size = get_image_size(buf);
>>  +    if (size < 0 || size > maxsz)
>>  +        goto error;
>>  +    if (top)
>>  +        phys_addr = phys_addr + maxsz - size;
>>  +    dt_memrng(rng, phys_addr, size, qemu_ram_alloc(size), IO_MEM_ROM);
>>  +    if (load_image(buf, phys_ram_base + rng->host_offs) != size)
>>  +        goto error;
>>  +    return;
>>  +
>>  +error:
>>  +    fprintf(stderr, "qemu: could not load image '%s'\n", buf);
>>  +    exit(1);
>>  +}
>
> If this is going to be the generic ROM loader, it should also handle
> ELF format images. But for the PC this is enough.

Yes.

[more const fallout...]
>>   void register_machines(void)
>>   {
>>  +    extern QEMUMachine pcdt_machine;
>
> Put this into hw/boards.h.

Done.  A leftover from the early reckless hacking stage.

>>  +tree *tree_new_kid(tree *parent, const char *name, void *user)
>
> The OF term for "kid" is "child".
>
>>  +tree *tree_sibling(const tree *node)
>
> Here the OF word is "peer".

Do you mean to recommend renames?  Note that right now this is a
perfectly generic decorated tree, which could be used for anything, not
just device trees.

While I'm not particular about "kid" vs. "child", I find "peer" clearly
inferior.  "Sibling" is obvious: child of the same parent.  "Peer" could
be anything.