qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [6388] Stop VM on ENOSPC error.

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [6388] Stop VM on ENOSPC error.
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 12:31:00 -0600

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 07:04:22PM +0200, Gleb Natapov wrote:
Or even to stop. What guest can do with other errors anyway?

The idea is that if the guest at least sees the I/O error, then it won't
continue writing as if everything were OK. It may not be able to continue
normal operation, but it can at least mark the FS read-only and avoid
ongoing damage.

This simply doesn't happen in practice. The FS needs to write data to the disk in order to remount it read-only. Once all writes start failing, the errors are cascading.

 So you have a reasonable liklihood of shutting down the
guest, fixing the ENOSPC problem ont he host, and starting the guests
again & them recovering their journal.  'ignore' is guarenteed dataloss,
'report' gives you a good fighting chance. 'stop'/'enospc' are best, if
the management app is able to detect that the VM is being paused & thus
report it to the user
My contention is that a user using a management app is already hosed with "report". To not be fubar, we need async notifications. If we can the default to enospc, I think it makes nothing worse but a good chunk of cases a lot better.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Daniel