qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Machine description, an alternativ using XML

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Machine description, an alternativ using XML
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 19:48:14 +0100

Am 26.02.2009 um 14:24 schrieb Steve Fosdick:

On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 13:01 +0100, Torbjörn Andersson wrote:

Very readable. But, I dislike the complex DTD, which needs to be maintained when new machine designs arrive. I believe that Classes and Objects, with
relationships, is enough.

To me the complex DTD is, instead, an advantage.

XML already has a way of describing objects (elements) attributes of
those objects (attributes) and objects nested within those objects
(nested elements).

True, but XML itself does not allow for arbitrary graphs, only trees. Unless of course you start using RDF/etc., and then it's no longer a small expat dependency only.

As a user I do prefer easily readable XML formats, like Virtual PC or VMware may use, but I understand that such PC-only formats do not provide enough flexibility to customize a full OF device tree for all the platforms and devices QEMU supports. Having a frontend tool to generate a machine configuration from another config file format seemed like the best compromise when we last discussed the topic.

Andreas