qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Random thought about qemu-user and Windows

From: Stuart Brady
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Random thought about qemu-user and Windows
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 20:18:44 +0000

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 11:50:15PM +0000, Jamie Lokier wrote:
> Hmm...  I wonder how much would be required to emulate just the
> Windows system calls (used by normal applications)?  I.e. the same way
> qemu-user emulates the Linux and BSD system calls used by normal apps.
>
> WINE does this, of course, but WINE is much bigger than that - it
> replaces all the Windows userspace libraries.  That's much bigger than
> just kernel behaviour.  I wonder how big the part needed just for
> Windows system calls would be.

Hmm, at some point in the future, I suppose it's possible that there
could be a demand for something like FX!32 (which let you run i386 apps
on NT for DEC Alpha)...  x86 seems to be here to stay, though...

For most users, I suppose qemu+wine would (in theory) be want they want,
although perhaps it'd be possible to run some code (e.g. wineserver?)
directly on the host CPU, without any translation.
--
Stuart Brady