qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [7234] Use a more natural order

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [7234] Use a more natural order
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 19:10:34 -0500

Jamie Lokier wrote:
Anthony Liguori wrote:
It might take 30 minutes, but it saves large amounts of time for everyone
else later.  Also I would hope make is smart enough to only recompile
the bits that changed, so that shouldn't take as long.
A great deal of our objects are target specific. Almost everything depends on CONFIG_USER_ONLY too. This means that full compilation takes a very long time.

You might find ccache helps.  For this kind of testing, nearly every
compile should be a cache hit, so the slow part is limited running
configure, make and preprocessing, and the final link.

If it wasn't for ccache, my current testing setup would probably take days to complete :-)

For each patch, I do an rm -rf $(builddir) to also catch any possible bugs in configure and avoid false positives from old config-* files.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori