qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] "i8042.c: No controller found" -> OS sees no keyboard if I

From: Tomasz Chmielewski
Subject: [Qemu-devel] "i8042.c: No controller found" -> OS sees no keyboard if I type "in BIOS"
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 15:57:01 +0200

When I boot the guest and type (just hit any keys) in the VNC window before the operating system boots, sometimes, the system loads with no keyboard present - as signified in dmesg on guest:

i8042.c: No controller found

As a result, I can't use the keyboard in the VNC window.

If I start qemu process and I don't press any key, I can use the keyboard once the operating system boots.

Rebooting the guest doesn't fix the problem, even if I don't touch the keyboard before the OS boots any more.
Only stopping the guest and starting a new qemu process fixes the problem.

Anyone else saw it as well? If not, try something like that on your guests:

grep i8042 /var/log/kern*

(or grep "i8042.c: No controller found" /var/log/kern*)

Some more confirmations of this problem in the internet:

http://qemu-forum.ipi.fi/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4461

http://osdir.com/ml/fedora-virt/2009-04/msg00066.html

http://www.proxmox.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1163

--