qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Question about KVM and PC speaker

From: Sebastian Herbszt
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Question about KVM and PC speaker
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 21:48:43 +0200

malc wrote:
On Wed, 13 May 2009, Sebastian Herbszt wrote:

Jan Kiszka wrote:
> Moreover, does sound work at all with your qemu?
> The image I tried [1] issues two beeps after loading (obviously via
> direct hw access) - a good way to check general support. Note that one
> reason for broken host sound with qemu can be OSS. For that reason I
> always configure my qemu with --audio-drv-list=alsa.

Thats a good hint :)
Seems i used to compile qemu without "--audio-drv-list". Since "dsound" and
"fmod" drivers don't compile here (i likely miss some libs in my mingw), i
used "sdl".

Don't do that. Here's a nice tutorial Kazu made that will probably help you: http://www.h7.dion.ne.jp/~qemu-win/Audio-en.html

So you're saying the use of sdl for audio is not recommended?

Now i can hear those two beeps with the image you suggested. Tho those are
coming
thru my sound card and not the hosts pc speaker (even with "-soundhw pcspk",
but maybe
that option means something different).

And it will always come through your soundcard. pcspk is not a passthrough
thing.

Thanks for the clarification.

>> With INT 10h AH=0Eh i now can hear a beep too, but it doesn't stop and qemu
somewhat freezes.

Huh?

With this INT 10h function qemu should beep once, but it does loop the beep
infinitely.
Normally i can exit qemu by clicking on the [x] window close "icon", but while
it does
endlessly beep that doesn't work (vista says process doesn't respond). Using
"quit" in the
monitor window doesn't work either.

- Sebastian