qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: [RFC] allow multi-core guests: introduce cores= option

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: [RFC] allow multi-core guests: introduce cores= option to -cpu
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 15:23:27 +0200

On 04.07.2009, at 17:25, Avi Kivity wrote:

On 07/03/2009 05:41 PM, Andre Przywara wrote:
Hi,

currently SMP guests happen to see<n> vCPUs as<n> different sockets. Some guests (Windows comes to mind) have license restrictions and refuse
to run on multi-socket machines.
So lets introduce a "cores=" parameter to the -cpu option to let the user
specify the number of _cores_ the guest should see.

This patch has not been tested with all corner cases, so I just want to
hear your comments whether
a) we need such an option  and
b) you like this particular approach.

Applying this qemu.git patch to qemu-kvm.git fixes Windows SMP boot on some versions, I successfully tried up to -smp 16 -cpu host,cores=8 with
WindowsXP Pro.

I thought of using -smp [processors=]2,cores=4,threads=2 (for a total of 16 threads), but I think it makes more sense with -cpu.

I actually think putting this in -smp makes more sense. -cpu really shouldn't need to be touched by normal users and as long as you can either -cpu host or -cpu safe that should be enough.

But then again maybe we should replace -smp with something more useful like -numa where you'd then specify #CPUs, #cores, mem-cpu connection, etc.

Alex