qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] memory restriction in 256M - why?

From: Artyom Tarasenko
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] memory restriction in 256M - why?
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 11:29:34 +0200

2009/8/25 Sergey Anosov <address@hidden>:
> I'm new in QEMU. I've got one question - why there is a memory restriction in
> 256 M on sparc, mips and other platforms?
> I've made mips and sparc distributives, but 256M of RAM is too little for
> them.

There is no such restriction:

qemu-system-sparc -M SS-10 -m 512
Probing Memory Bank #0 64 Megabytes of DRAM
Probing Memory Bank #1 64 Megabytes of DRAM
Probing Memory Bank #2 64 Megabytes of DRAM
Probing Memory Bank #3 64 Megabytes of DRAM
Probing Memory Bank #4 64 Megabytes of DRAM
Probing Memory Bank #5 64 Megabytes of DRAM
Probing Memory Bank #6 64 Megabytes of DRAM
Probing Memory Bank #7 64 Megabytes of DRAM

But there is a limitation per certain machine type. SparcStation 10
can support only 512 M. It rarely makes sense to try to put more in
it: a standard software (Firmware, OS)  wouldn't know where to search
for more RAM.