qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Inquiry:Solaris 8 installation on QEMU

From: hadi motamedi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Inquiry:Solaris 8 installation on QEMU
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 04:56:43 +0100

Thank you very much for your valuable reply . Please do me favor and update if you have found news about it.
I appreciate your reply .

On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 10:39 AM, Blue Swirl <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 7:08 AM, hadi motamedi <address@hidden> wrote:
> Dear All
> Can you please do me favor and let me know how can I install Solaris 8 on
> QEMU ? Please be informed that I have downloaded & installed
> qemu-0.9.0-sparc on my x86 workstation . It seems that it has emulated the
> UltraSPARC platform on my pc as I am receiving the followings :
> "#uname -a
> Linux (none) 2.6.11 #3 Tue Mar 15 18:21:10 UTC 2005 sparc unknown"

This is 32 bit Sparc, not UltraSPARC. UltraSPARC emulator is called
sparc64 (sparc64-softmmu, qemu-system-sparc64).

> I have an application that calls for UltraSPAR Solaris 8 to be pre-installed
> . Can you please let me know how can I install Solaris 8 on my new emulated
> platform ?
> Thank you in advance

UltraSPARC emulation is not complete. Even Sparc32 can't boot Solaris
8 for some mysterious reason.