qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] ANN: QEMU Monitor Protocol git tree

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] ANN: QEMU Monitor Protocol git tree
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 11:08:22 +0100

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 10:44:30PM -0300, Luiz Capitulino wrote:

>  Hi there,
>
> While I was converting command handlers to the QObject style I realized that
> it would be very interesting to have the protocol working up front, so that
> converted handlers could be tested to assure that their data types have been
> chosen correctly.
>
> More importantly, some protocol design decisions can affect handlers
> signatures,
> so having at least an idea of how the protocol will look like will help us to
> stay on the right track during mass conversion.
>
> So, I have implemented a rudimentary version of the QEMU Monitor Protocol
> (QMP)
> it has a command-line switch to enable the protocol.
>
> You will find it at:
>
> http://repo.or.cz/w/qemu/qmp-unstable.git
>
> The QMP directory of that tree has some documents plus a Python script which
> communicates with QEMU by using the protocol and emulates a shell, although
> only few commands are working..

It doesn't compile on i386

$ make
  CC    i386-softmmu/monitor.o
cc1: warnings being treated as errors
/home/berrange/src/external/qmp-unstable/monitor.c: In function
‘monitor_json_emitter’:
/home/berrange/src/external/qmp-unstable/monitor.c:277: error: format ‘%li’
expects type ‘long int’, but argument 3 has type ‘int64_t’
/home/berrange/src/external/qmp-unstable/monitor.c: In function
‘monitor_print_qobject’:
/home/berrange/src/external/qmp-unstable/monitor.c:398: error: format ‘%lu’
expects type ‘long unsigned int’, but argument 3 has type ‘int64_t’
make[1]: *** [monitor.o] Error 1

Having -Werror by default really is painful :-(

Daniel