qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: comments on: get page size in device init

From: Blue Swirl
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: comments on: get page size in device init
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 20:07:37 +0300

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 3:58 PM, Michael S. Tsirkin <address@hidden> wrote:
>>     Compile msix only once
>>
>>     Get page size in device init.
>>
>>     Signed-off-by: Blue Swirl <address@hidden>
>
> What was the motivation for the page size change?

"Compile msix only once"

> It seems the only user passes TARGET_PAGE_SIZE anyway,
> using a constant seems clearer and probably generates
> less code. No?

Yes, but then the code would depend on TARGET_PAGE_SIZE, making it
impossible to compile the code only once.

Moreover, devices in general (with the exception of maybe virtio and
Xen devices and horrible abominations like vmmouse/vmport) should have
no knowledge about the CPU. TARGET_PAGE_SIZE is a parameter of the
CPU, no device should need to use it. Therefore this commit is
actually a cleanup.

> Did I miss this patch on qemu-devel?  Generally, it's nice to have
> patches posted to list to give people a chance to comment, before they
> are pushed to the public tree.  Right?

No, you did not miss anything. I was not nice, sorry about that.

> Finally, the 2 changes seem unrelated: why was it a good idea to bundle
> them in one commit?

Which 2 changes are you referring to? I think all changes are necessary.