qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Release plan for 0.12.0

From: Fred Leeflang
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Release plan for 0.12.0
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 17:03:23 +0200

2009/9/30 Anthony Liguori <address@hidden>
Luiz Capitulino wrote:
On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 18:54:53 -0500
Anthony Liguori <address@hidden> wrote:

I think aiming for early to mid-December would give us roughly a 3 month cycle and would align well with some of the Linux distribution cycles.  I'd like to limit things to a single -rc that lasted only for about a week.  This is enough time to fix most of the obvious issues I think.

 How do you plan to do it? I mean, are you going to create a separate branch
or make master the -rc?

 Creating a separate branch (which is what we do today, iiuc) makes it
get less attention, freezing master for a certain period is the best
way to stabilize.

 Is this what you had in mind?

What do people think?

One reason I branch is because some people care a bit less about releases so it makes the process non-disruptive to them.  If the other maintainers agreed though, I would certainly like to have the master branch essentially frozen for the week before the release.

freezing is only neccesary if you need time to gather all the patches, build and test them together etc. If you don't feel you or the developers need to do that to get a reliable release out I think it only halts developers without any clear reason to do so. Calling 'attention' to a release is not a clear reason IMO.

-Fred