qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Release plan for 0.12.0

From: Natalia Portillo
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Release plan for 0.12.0
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 05:45:11 +0100

That's not the ROM, it's the MacOS Nanokernel used in 8.5 and upper as a PowerPC substitute to Toolbox.

This is of comparing the 68k ROMs of Apple that contained the Toolbox (most of the MacOS API) along with that specific machine device drivers (WIM and SWIM floppy controllers, SCSI, the framebuffer -no real video card-, the ADB), and with the PowerPC ROMs that contained a mixed 68k-PPC Toolbox, an incomplete OpenFirmware, the 68k emulator.

With 8.5 the ROM only needed to contain the OpenFirmware, as the rest (68k-PPC Toolbox, 68k emulator) was included in the "rom file" along with the nanokernel, that both loaded the rest of the OS (that depended on the toolbox) and the drivers needed as described by OF.