qemu-devel

Re: [coreboot] [Qemu-devel] Release plan for 0.12.0

From: Lennart Sorensen
Subject: Re: [coreboot] [Qemu-devel] Release plan for 0.12.0
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 10:08:40 -0400

On Sun, Oct 04, 2009 at 04:55:10AM +0100, Natalia Portillo wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong but most the IA64 opcodes can be derived from
> IA32 emulation isn't it why both are "Intel Architecture"?

IA64 and IA32 have nothing in common other than being from intel.
That's why they are called Intel Architecture.  x86-64 on the other hand
is based on x86 (IA32).  IA64 is totally different.  I think intel has
refered to x86-64 as IA-32e, EM64T, Intel 64, and probably other
things too.  IA-32e does appear to have refered to intel's own 64bit
extension to x86 before they licensed the AMD64 instructions instead.

IA64 has fixed length instructions, with 3 operations per instruction
word.  IA32 has variable length instructions, with one operation per
instruction "word".

IA64 is in order execution.  Most IA32 chips are out of order execution
these days.  Not that that is really anything to do with the instruction
set though.

--
Len Sorensen