qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Support for new target emulator

From: Rabin Vincent
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Support for new target emulator
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 21:33:20 +0530

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 12:50:03PM +0200, Boyapati, Anitha wrote:
> We have a proposal to add support for AVR32 target emulation in Qemu.

I've been working on and off on AVR32 target support for a little while
now.  It's still far from being complete or mergeable, but enough of the
architecture has been implemented to boot a minimal Linux kernel in
system emulation and run busybox in linux-user emulation.

I've put up the current source at http://repo.or.cz/w/qemu/avr32.git,
and a small README and some prebuilt kernel and busybox binaries to play
with at http://rab.in/qemu/avr32/.

Current status and a TODO list are below.  Have a look.  I still hope to
complete this and get it merged at some point, but you're welcome to
beat me to it.  If you (or anyone else) decide to work off this, I'd
be happy to take patches or give you push access to the repo.

Current status:
- linux-user: Busybox (ash, ls, gzip, etc) works.

- system: Linux kernel (built for ATSTK1000) boots and is able to get a
  userspace printf("Hello") init process to run.  Busybox init doesn't
  work because fork/exec appears to be broken with the current MMU code.

TODO, off the top of my head:
- Get fork/exec working under Linux in system mode
- Code cleanup (especially remove duplicated code in translate.c)
- Make kernel args/atags work (removes need for kernel hack)
- Disassembler code integration
- Single stepping
- GDB support
- more devices (atleast framebuffer), sysbus conversion
- Implement missing insns (mul variants, packed data insns, saturating
  arithmetic, various odds & ends)
- processor variants support (UC3)?
- ...

Rabin