qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Cross-debugging support in QEMU using GDB

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Cross-debugging support in QEMU using GDB
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 17:28:31 +0100

On 29.10.2009, at 17:26, Boyapati, Anitha wrote:

Hello Alex,

Essentially, what I am looking for is something like,
        qemu-x -s <any_ELF_executable> [options]
        targetx-gdb <any_ELF_executable>

Yes. qemu-x -g 1234 <file> <options>
And then use gdb -ex 'target remote localhost:1234'.

where qemu-x is a user mode qemu for target X.

More on (2): if there is no OS, then I think a small application
like bootloader should probably be present to launch the cross-
compiled executable on to Qemu. Any further suggestions on how to
make (2) possible?  All the previous threads in developer mail
archives dealt with debugging linux image in some form or the other.

Qemu does that job, interpreting the ELF headers. I'm not sure where
the linking is done though, so maybe better read the code there :-).

Just try out qemu-i386 for now! Try to run a statically linked i386
binary on a non-i386 platform, so you get the hang of it.

Wow! I just got the gist of entire thing having done the same successfully for i386. Actually I got confused at multiple points purely because of my mistakes.

As I am running the entire setup on virtual box, I don't have bzImage. I continued my kernel debugging attempts with linux.img (me in sleep mode :P). Then I ran an avr32 version of qemu which gave some weird results (the patch Rabin gave has GDB support in its TODO list and I overlooked it).Indeed the advice greatly helped to sort out most of the issues :)

I'm glad it sorted things out.

On the other hand, I think this can be documented in GDB usage section of QEMU documentation.

Patches to documentation bits are always welcome! Certain developers (definitely me included) tend to forget that people actually read documentation ;-)

Alex