qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] PC machine types switched to SeaBIOS/gPXE

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] PC machine types switched to SeaBIOS/gPXE
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 15:02:15 +0200

On 11/09/2009 08:41 PM, Glauber Costa wrote:

pc.c:

     } else {
         /* High and recent kernel */
         real_addr    = 0x10000;
         cmdline_addr = 0x20000;
         prot_addr    = 0x100000;
     }

If I'm not totally mistaken, 0x10000 is<  1MB :-).

So yes, I think there should be a fw-conf interface that tells qemu to
reload all volatile option rom regions (which it keeps track of for
reset anyway). We just need to make sure it doesn't overwrite the BIOS
itself, as data in there might have been changed already.
Can't we put these data somewhere else, and let our int19 handler copy
it to the right location?

Anywhere you put it the bios has a right to trample. Of course our bios (and its maintainer) are cooperative, but there's not reason to impose on that if we can do the right thing and load the data at the right moment.