qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Live migration protocol, device features, ABIs and

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Live migration protocol, device features, ABIs and other beasts
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 12:28:16 -0600

Eduardo Habkost wrote:
That may be good enough for upstream Qemu, but IMO for RHEL it is not a
realistic policy. If the definition of "guest visible state" is buggy on
the current implementation, we can't drop entirely the possibility of
fixing it on our stable branch.

After mulling over it a bit, here's what I'd suggest:

1) Integrate VMstate with qdev
2) Introduce a bitmap blacklist for unsupported VMstate versions
3) Expose that bitmap as a qdev property for each device.
4) By default, upstream qemu will always set the bitmap to be 100% correct.

This provides a mechanism for informed users and downstreams to reduce correctness in favor of migration compatibility on a case-by-case basis.

This takes qemu out of the business of creating these sort of policies but allows RHEL to make decisions about what default policy it uses. It also lets well informed users of RHEL to override those policy decisions when they deem it to be appropriate.

This would make me happy both from an upstream qemu perspective but also as a consumer of RHEL.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori