qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] ARM v4t support

From: Rob Landley
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] ARM v4t support
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 01:00:39 -0600

On Friday 27 November 2009 05:35:26 Filip Navara wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 12:17 PM, Vincent Sanders <address@hidden>
wrote:
> > I appear to be unable to take a hint, your silence on this patch in
> > the past probably ought to have been a clue. however this will be the
> > last time I bother to try and get anything merged so you wont have to
> > be disturbed again.
> >
> > The attached patch adds V4t support to the ARM emulation, its pretty
> > much the same as the last time it was posted. It is correct in
> > everything it does to the best of my knowledge however you will as
> > usual no doubt find a corner case it does not cover and reject it.
>
> I have already sent more complete patch for ARM7TDMI emulation:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg17205.html
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/36841/

That's a link to an archive that gives you html but not a raw patch.  (Huh, it
says you sent it to the list but I'm not finding it in my mail folder.
Rummage, rummage, rummage...  Ah, your original patch was dated December 31
1969.)

Ok, dug it up, applied it, booted an -M versatilepb kernel built with an
armv4tl compiler that I'm assured works for real armv4tl hardware, and I get
no boot messages if I say "-cpu arm7tdmi", but it boots fine if I don't say
that.

Let's try my armv4l setup (which I've booted on real armv4tl hardware, albeit
with a different kernel .config but qemu hasn't got a board emulation for the
Tin Can Tools Hammer, last I checked...)  That's an OABI which doesn't depend
on the Thumb extensions...

Nope, that's armv4 OABI, and I've tested the output of that compiler on real
hardware, albeit with a different kernel .config.

Your patch does not work for me.  Is there a kernel .config change I need to do
for this?  Looking in the kernel kconfig stuff, the only way to select arm7tdmi
is to disable MMU support.  Is this a nommu processor?  (I know there are
armv4t processors _with_ mmu...)

What kernel .config, -M, and -cpu and  did you use to test an armv4t system
image with your patch?

Rob