qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] vmware vga + kvm interaction

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] vmware vga + kvm interaction
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 11:59:38 -0600

Avi Kivity wrote:
On 12/13/2009 10:55 AM, Dave Airlie wrote:
If I boot an F12 LiveCD with vmware VGA without KVM enabled, I get the
syslinux boot screen and can pick
options, the same qemu run with -enable-kvm, I just get a blank screen.

Anyone have any clues on why this might be?

One of the niceties of vmvga is that it accesses cpu registers in response to an I/O instruction. Maybe this bit is broken. Does your hw/vmport.c have cpu_synchronize_state() in vmport_ioport_read()?

Hmm, upstream doesn't, so no surprise it is broken.
vmware-vga does not use vmport.

The issue is about related to dirty tracking and how the vbe bios memory gets mapped. I've posted patches on the list before.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori