qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] cpuid problem in upstream qemu with kvm

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] cpuid problem in upstream qemu with kvm
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 14:02:03 -0600

Gleb Natapov wrote:
I thought KVM emulates the syscall instruction?  I swear I've seen
patches for that.

It is. Starting from 2.6.32.

Okay, so this is a performance vs. migration compatibility issue then?

BTW, couldn't we just not advertise syscall in cpuid? That should fix it too without sacrificing migration compatibility. We get a slight slowdown on AMD hosts but that's probably minor compared to the cost of using emulated syscall on Intel hosts.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori