qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Planning for 0.13

From: Michael S. Tsirkin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Planning for 0.13
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 12:49:04 +0200

On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 06:32:23PM -0600, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> On 01/05/2010 03:33 PM, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 06:43:11AM -0600, Anthony Liguori wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I hope everyone had a happy new year!  Now that we've finished the 0.12
>>> release and most of us have had a nice break, I think it's time to start
>>> planning for the next release.
>>>
>>> 0.12 felt a bit rushed to me.  I'd like to take a bit more time with
>>> 0.13 and try to complete features a bit more than we did in 0.12.  So I
>>> propose that we target 0.13 as a 6-month cycle and target a June 1st
>>> release.  Based on the -rc process for 0.12, I would like to have a two
>>> week -rc cycle for 0.13 but this time, absolutely no non-bug fixes past
>>> freeze.  We got sloppy in 0.12 with this and we had some ugly
>>> regressions in the final release.
>>>
>>> Here are the features that I'm aware of for 0.13.  Please add anything
>>> you're working on and I'll try to centralize this somewhere.
>>>
>>>   - gPXE support for virtio-blk
>>>   - Helper based network setup
>>>   - Balloon driver statistics
>>>   - Fully supported QMP
>>>   - Live migration protocol support for subvendor versions (aka features)
>>>
>> pci compliance (virtio passing whql)
>>

> What's the remaining problem?

IIRC, proper memory/IO access filtering (get rid of map functions) and
PCI Express.

>> vepa networking
>>

> To me, this is covered with helpers.  I really want to get qemu out of
> the network setup business specifically because of things like vepa,
> vmtag, and all of the other weird things that can be done.

I don't think you can now make vepa work this way.  For existing
kernels, they only way I see is using packet sockets, and that code
already mostly works.  One day, when macvtap is ready - who knows. But
waiting for that would mean we won't have it in 0.13.