qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QMP forward compatibility support

From: Jamie Lokier
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QMP forward compatibility support
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 00:01:39 +0000

Markus Armbruster wrote:
> It should be optional if we want to support clients that don't want it.
> I don't think coping with it would be a terrible burden on clients, but
> neither is having to ask for it.  Personally, I'd make it optional.

It wouldn't be a terrible burden, but it'll be easier to write "quick
and dirty" synchronous clients if they know they don't have to
continuously consume output, to make sure the pipe doesn't fill up,
except immediately after they send a command they wait for the response.

So I'd make async responses optional too.

By quick and dirty, I am talking about one-liner Perl invocations in
shell scripts which control a qemu instance.  Something which is easy
with multi-monitor support :-)

-- Jamie