qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Summer of Code 2010

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Summer of Code 2010
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 10:58:46 +0000

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 9:31 AM, Johannes Schindelin
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Note that some students do not finish up their work, do not get properly
> involved with the project, get the pay check, and then go somewhere else.
> The time of the mentor is quite possibly just wasted in such a case. Quite
> frustrating experience, believe me.

That was a negative experience, but there are many successful
projects.  Summer of Code has proven beneficial to organizations, just
look through the previous years' organization lists and see orgs
coming back year after year.

I was a mentor last year and a student before that.  I have seen a
project fail but most were successful.  As the mentor you have an
input into this process in the form of a mid-term review and a final
review.  If a student is not meeting their part of the deal, you can
fail them (in the worst case).

The GSoC wiki has more information that can help you decide whether to apply:

http://gsoc-wiki.osuosl.org/index.php/Main_Page

Stefan